Saturday, September 11, 2010

F'N Ms! A Rundown of my Magical Friday Nights

So, you thought I forgot about the blog? Heck no!

I'm here to stay now to blog about yesterday at the first venue since arriving at college.

I was running Bazaar Trader combo. My decklist is as follows:

4 - Swamp
9- Mountain
5 - Forest
4 - Bojuka Bog

4 - Vampire Nighthawk (Hereafter referenced as "Cockhawk" lol)
4 - Bazaar Trader
2 - Conquering Manticore
3 - Bloodbraid Elf (BBE)

3 - Immortal Coil

2 - Leyline of the Void

1 - Sarkhan Vol

2 - Smother
4 - Lightning Bolt
3 - Mark of Mutiny
3 - Harrow
4 - Terminate
3 - Blightning


SB:

1 - Immortal Coil
1 - Pithing Needle
3 - Deathmark
3 - Duress
2 - Smother
2 - Act of Treason
2 - Naturalize
1 - Blightning

Anyhow, the deck is supposed to play kill spells and burn, filling up your graveyard and hopefully not fill your opponent's. Once you have a Bazaar Trader that isn't Summoning Sick, play Immortal Coil. Unless you've been doing something wrong (like having an empty graveyard and losing right there), you would be able to donate the Coil with the Trader at that point and win. Many cards keep graveyards from filling so it is inevitable that it would happen. Beats are possible too, with BBE and Cockhawk helping here.

So, there were three rounds this tourney and I didn't do as well as I wanted to (in matches I went 1-2-0). However, while it sounds like I'm settling, I quite enjoyed my matches. Read on and you'll see a rundown. Unfortunately, there isn't any decklist from any opponents of mine so sorry about that. Here we are:

MATCH 1 (Sean) - UG Overrrun - 1-2-0
I managed to whittle Sean down to 8 with burn and (IIRC) Cockhawks before he had enough Eldrazi Spawn and Elvish Visionaries to overrun me over 2 consecutive turns, for my loss first game.
Second game I pulled off the combo, and while Sean had no burn/kill spells to deal with a free Bazaar Trader with a full graveyard, he also had no graveyard of his own/ The look on his face when I donated the Coil to him was fairly priceless, and one of the responses I tend to love about this game and playing quirky decks like mine.
Game 3 was fast. Sean had played a Birds of Paradise (BoP for when I mention it ever again) and I killed it right off hand with a Lightning Bolt (Bolt). He still Overrunned into winning. He was close to losing somehow and he top-decked off of a Visionary... I recall him saying "It all rides on whatever I get from this Visionary" lol

Quite a fun match despite the loss. Moving on!

MATCH 2 (Vince) - B Vampires - 0-2-0
I hate playing against Vampires. When someone uses Vamps competitively, I wonder to myself, "if they play this competitively, if they don't go Pro, what will they do when Vampires rotates out?" I was quickly throttled which was a nuisance. I didn't see a single Bloodghast which made me question the deck and its contents. I did expect them after I Blightning'd him. Ah well, a loss is a loss is a loss is a loss to Vampires.

MATCH 3 (Mike) - B Disruption Aggro - 2-0-0
Mike is a cool guy. He decided to play a monoblack aggro with discard and Blood Tithes. His creatures were very Vanilla and French Vanilla and that's all good. He claimed that a simple strategy can be most effective. I forget how the wheel of decktrumping goes, if it's combo that beats aggro or if it beats control, but I trumped his deck (In hindsight I think it is that Aggro beats Combo but this must have been an exception). So, I was freaked the first game when Mike whittled me to 1 with a Gloomhunter a Black Knight, a Nether Horror and incapacitating my guys while Blood Tithing me to high Hell. At 1, I decided to see if my failsafe was workable. I played Immortal Coil and turned the tables for as long as he'd had no damageless life loss cards. And whoosh, I was at 18 again, essentially. He was at 27, IIRC. I played a few Cockhawks and swung face. When he had no graveyard I played Trader and when he didn't topdeck Bloodtithe or Sign in Blood, I gave him my failsafe FTW.
Game two, I opened with a Leyline of the Void. He looked at me, smiled angrily, and said "damn you." I was feeling pretty good about that game and while his deck still held the tricks it had before, I ended at about 23. He'd played Curse of Wizardry and named red with is annoying but I still got through even playing some red spells. Still, I forget (a DAY later...Ugh. I have a terrible memory for these things) if I swung face ftw or if I Bazaar comboed out ftw. Regardless, I won that one with less trepidation than before.

So, that in mind, I have given all of my opponents my blog address, and I invite them to share their opinions here about our matches and other matches from yestrerday. :)

Till next FNM, make sure you don't sell the horse while trading the Bazaar.

~Kalkris

No comments:

Post a Comment